Today – Dove Pure and Sensitive Soap review plus top tips for dealing with dry and sensitive skin – dove beauty bar
I have annoyingly sensitive skin. Annoying because, much like me on a bad day, there isn’t something specific that sets it off rather its just life in general that builds up and irritates it. Pollution seems to be a big factor along with air conditioning, wearing make up and stress, not great if you happen to be an office worker in the middle of a big city! It means my cheeks are quite dry and always look a bit flushed and I have to be careful to take all my make up off properly and not to touch my face too much or I get spots. Seriously, I’ll be 35 in November, shouldn’t I be too old for spots?!?!
Dove Pure and Sensitive Soap has partnered with the National Eczema Society to mark National Eczema Week by sharing some advice on caring for dry sensitive skin like mine.
Their Ten Top Tips are:
- Avoid all soap based cleansers to help keep your skin barrier intact.
- Shower or bathe in warm water, not hot, and pat skin dry instead of rubbing.
- Moisurise routinely and well using cream and ointment based moisurisers after bathing or showering and consider keeping moisturiser with you to top up during the day.
- Change your routine as the weather changes, using heavier moisturiser more frequently during the winter.
- Try to keep an even temperature, not going from hot to cold and vice versa. Layer your clothes and avoid sitting by radiators and fires.
- UV light damages skin so avoid sunbeds at all costs, avoid the sun between 11am and 3pm and use sunscreen all year round.
- Avoid fragranced and perfumed products and be careful what washing powders you use. Try adding an extra rinse cycle at the end of the wash.
- Do a self patch test on any new product i.e. dab a little bit on an area of skin that is not currently sensitive and wait 24 hours to spot any reaction before using it properly.
- Be careful what you wear. Soft cottons or silks won’t irritate like wool or make you over heat like manmade fibres.
- Avoid stress as anxiety and worry can also affect your skin.
Dove have also sent me some of their Pure & Sensitive Dove Beauty Bar to review. It looks like a bar of soap but is actually a mild moisurising cleanser designed to preserve your skin’s proteins and lipids to prevent irritation. It is also fragrance free, preservative free, pH neutral and hypoallergenic helping to leave skin soft and smooth.
I try to pretty much leave my skin alone as much as possible so I was a bit worried introducing a new product was as likely to make any irritation worse as better but actually I’m really happy with the results. I’ve been using the Dove Pure and Sensitive Soap for a couple of weeks now and it has definitely made my skin less dry and ‘flaky’ looking and while it is still a bit flushed I think that has diminished slightly too. It’s also a bit of a bargain. With an RRP of £1.67 for two bars (which seem to last forever) it’s certainly more cost effective than expensive cleansers and even popular face wipes. I’m definitely going to keep using it and if you have similar issues I’d say it’s well worth a try. For that price you really have nothing to lose.
[Note: I was sent this dove beauty bar for the purpose of review and was compensated for my time. All thoughts are my own.]
Other health related posts from bloggers I love:
- Emma & 3 talks about Hip Dysplasia
- Lulastic talks about Natural Term Breastfeeding
- The Sensory Seeker talks about Sensory Processing