Today – The Benefits of Travelling for Kids, a guest post from Becky Goddard-Hill of A Beautiful Space and Create Your Own Happy.
Oh, travel can feel so tricky with kids can’t it? You have to remember to pack things to entertain them on the way and whilst they are there. You might need special car seats or feeding apparatus depending on their age. They may whine a little and not be the most flexible of travelling companions when it comes to nap or bedtimes. Food can also be tricky if they are fussy eaters or set in their ways.
Yes, travelling with kids can be challenging!
But should this stop us from travelling with kids? Absolutely not!
There are so many benefits of travelling for kids that in an ideal world they should probably travel most of the year and attend school in their travel holidays – rather than squeezing in breaks when school is out. Let’s take a look…
Benefits of travelling
- Kids learn to be flexible – it is unavoidable that kids learn to be more flexible and dare I say it, more patient, when they travel. They will have to negotiate flight delays, or traffic jams, extreme temperatures, siestas, meals at different times, jet lag, room sharing and so on. Things are different and they just have to adapt and go with the flow (or the delays.) Flexibility is a great life skill and travel is a great learning opportunity in flexibility.
- Kids learn to embrace other cultures by trying new food, handling different money, hearing another language and learning new customs. Travel encourages kids to have ago at embracing new ways of being and takes them out of their comfort zone. This lesson in open mindedness and the development of a have-a-go spirit will stand them in good stead in life.
- Kids learn to accept difference when they travel. Travel makes difference exciting, it takes away fear of other cultures and challenges our stereotypes. For kids it really opens their eyes to the exciting elements of diversity. They will learn that difference is nothing to be afraid of and everything to be excited by.
- Travel is bonding – in terms of getting along with your travelling companions travel is the most wonderful bonding experience. Without the distraction of screens and school, friends and clubs travel gives kids real time with their families. Looking back on our childhood vacations with family is something that creates standout memories for us all. Precious days of shared experiences.
- Travel gives kids an education – in history and in geography, in sociology and in politics, in art and in nature. Travel is probably the best hands on learning a child could ever do. You can read about something for ever more but oh to experience it…..
So let’s pack those bags shall we (theirs too!)
About the author
Becky blogs at A Beautiful Space and is co-author of Create your Own Happy – a happiness boosting activity for kids age 7-1. Create your own happy is a fun, science based and interactive book to teach kids that their happiness is their superpower and that they can change how they feel!
Create your Own Happy is available now from Amazon and all good book shops