I’m not a terrible cook, I can generally knock up the basics so when E and I decided to have a go at a jelly I was feeling quite confident. The MiL had sent us some fabby jelly moulds so I had visions of a beautiful jelly tower to wow you all with. E got some fruit ready while I dissolved the gelatin in a bit of boiling water and topped it up to a pint with orange juice. E stuck all the fruit into the mould and then made a mini orange tsunami stirring up the orange and gelatin mix. We poured the mixture over the fruit and, because the fridge was full, I took it out to the utility room to set. Luckily, the utility room is not much warmer than the fridge so I was sure it would do the job.
At tea time I fetched the jelly which was looking nice and, you know, jellyish and with much fanfare it was inverted onto the cake plate and…nothing. It did not budge a millimetre. No problem I thought, I’m not afraid to give it a bit of a jiggle, it looks wonderfully solid after all. Cue ten minutes of tapping, shaking, running under hot water and generally looking a bit stupid. Finally there was a gratifying slurp noise and this is what we got:
Not sure it was worth the effort!