I’m on a mission to reduce our cholesterol intake at the moment. Poor Hubs is doing his best not to moan about the lack of red meat in our diet but I’m struggling with not baking so much. This week I attempted a skinny blueberry muffins. They are based on a recipe in ‘Cupcake Heaven’ A/W 2012. My (admittedly rough) calculations tell me these have less than 2g of saturated fat per muffin, which is achieved by using oil instead of butter and glace icing rather than butter cream. They come out very moist and not too sweet so would be good breakfast muffins.
For the Skinny Blueberry Muffins:
- 100g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 100ml milk
- 75g blueberries
For the icing:
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200ºc.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl or jug whisk the egg, vanilla and oil together well, then add the milk.
- Stir into the dry ingredients quickly and then gently stir through the blueberries.
- Spoon into 8 muffin cases and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the icing sugar along with a little water to make it up to the right consistency and top the muffins when they are cool.