This year I’ll be joining in with the Great Blogger Bake Off which essentially involves baking along with the series each week. This week I’ve made mini Cherry and Almond cakes, little moist bundt cakes full of sweet glace cherries topped with a lemon icing with cherries and toasted almonds. I’m hoping the lovely Jenny over at Mummy Mishaps will give me extra brownie points for attempting both the cherry and almond cake (technical challenge) and ‘mini’ cakes (showstopper) in one bake. You can find the rest of this weeks bakes over here.
Cherry and Almond Cakes
- 75g glace cherries
- 75g self raising flour
- 60g soften butter
- 60g caster sugar
- 15g ground almonds
- 1 egg
These quantities make about 6-8 mini cakes depending on your silicon molds. I’ve had mine for a few years now but you can find similar here.
- Preheat the oven to 160°c and consider flouring the inside of your molds if they have an intricate pattern just to be on the safe side.
- Chop the cherries into quite small pieces then rinse and dry them on kitchen paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar then beat in the egg.
- Set aside a few of the cherries for decoration later and sprinkle the rest in a little of the flour to coat them.
- Add the rest of the flour and the almonds to the wet mixture to form a fairly stiff batter and finally fold in the cherries until they are distributed evenly.
- Spoon into the molds and bake for around 12 minutes.
- Leave to cool for only a few minutes before turning them out warm to have the best chance of maintaining the mold pattern.
I made a straightforward glace icing with around 100g of icing sugar made up to the right consistency with lemon juice and then topped them with cherries and toasted almonds.
Check out some other great bakes on my Pinterest board:
Follow Cat Price’s board Baking Goodness on Pinterest.