Today – Fun coconut Easter nest treats to make with the kids (or just for yourself!)
It is certainly the time of year to start thinking about ‘Easter nest’ creations to house those all important mini eggs. I’ve made chocolate and Rice Krispie/cornflake creations in the past but to be honest, while they were fun to make that weren’t really that nice to eat. This year I’ve found a great idea for soft cookie based coconut Easter nests to give that rough twiggy look and it’s still a nice ‘hands on’ recipe that the kids can join in with. I’ve adapted it slightly for the original I found here.
- 200g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 50g butter
- 50g cream cheese
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1tsp vanilla
- 2 cups desiccated coconut (plus about 1/2 cup for coating)
Coconut Easter Nest Treats Method
- Sift together the flour and the baking powder.
- In another bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy then add the yolk and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and the coconut and combine to form a dough, adding a splash of milk if needed.
- Chill in the fridge for 20 min while preheating the oven to 180°c.
- Role dough into walnut size balls and then role them in the remaining coconut to coat them.
- Flatten them slightly and cook on a lined baking tray for about 15 min, until the coconut coating starts to brown. They should still be a bit soft.
- Remove from the oven and, while they are still warm and soft, make an indentation in the centre to hold the mini egg then allow to cool.
- Add a mini egg and enjoy.