Today – A video of our trip to Coughton Court, a National Trust property in Warwickshire.
According to the National Trust website, Coughton Court in Kings Coughton, Warwickshire…
is an imposing Tudor house set in beautiful gardens with a collection of Catholic treasures
Coughton Court is the home of the Throckmorton family who have lived at Coughton since 1409. John de Throckmorton, Under Treasurer of England to Henry VI, acquired Coughton in the early 15th Century through his marriage to Eleanor de Spiney. Their descendants have held it for 600 years and, although the National Trust has owned the house since 1946, the family still live here. The present resident, Mrs McClaren-Throckmorton, and her family enjoy occupancy of the house under a 300 year lease.
The origins of Coughton Court lie in pre-conquest times and there is evidence of a house on this site from the 14th Century. The present building was begun in the 15th Century and has since survived in a family who for much of that time were impoverished, persecuted or imprisoned for their adherence to the Catholic faith.