Today – How to bake the best Apple and Mincemeat Pie, a quick and foolproof recipe
Even though I love baking I don’t normally make pastry. I can knock out some tasty cupcakes, a pretty good sponge and even some passable scones but pastry can be a bit fiddly and doesn’t always turn out great. I decided to brave it for the first time in ages last night because I had a small amount of mincemeat left from making mince pies with E and loads of apples. Now it’s getting colder a pie seemed a great idea. So, as I always do in these situations, I reached for Delia and found a fab recipe for ‘quick flaky pastry”’. It’s so easy and it turned out so well I thought I’d share it with you. Here’s how I made a quick mincemeat and apple tart:
200g Self raising flour
A little Water to combine
Apple and Mincemeat Filling
2 or 3 tablespoons of Mincemeat
2 or 3 eating apples
1 tablespoon sugar (more if your apples are not very sweet)
- Weigh the butter, wrap it in tin foil and put into the freezer for half an hour
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples
- Put the flour in a bowl and then grate the butter into it, periodically giving it a quick stir to get all the butter coated in flour
- Add a little water and, ideally using a metal palette knife, quickly combine into dough adding further small amounts of water as needed.
- Wrap dough in clingfilm and chill for half an hour
- Peel, core and slice the apples
- Roll out about 2/3 of the pastry to line the pie dish
- Spread the mincemeat on the bottom
- Fill with layers of apple and then sprinkle the sugar over the top
- Roll out the rest of the pastry to top the pie
- Brush with a little milk, sprinkle with sugar and bake for about 30 min or until you think the pastry looks done.
Apple and Mincemeat Pie
If you liked our mincemeat and apple tart recipe the check out our other favourite bakes here and a great selection of baking books here. I’ve also collected up 150 of the best apple recipes to keep you busy.
If you fancy a vegan sweet treat check out this Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe
[Disclosure – This post contains affiliate links]